- This event has passed.
Health Impact Assessment: Incorporating Health into Planning and Decision-Making
October 15, 2015 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Health Impact Assessment (HIA) can be used to evaluate a proposed plan or project’s potential effects on the health of a population. HIA provides evidence-based recommendations aimed at enhancing positive health impacts and minimizing negative ones.
In this session, the New Jersey Health Impact Collaborative (NJHIC) will lead an introductory training on health impact assessment as a tool to promote community health and equity in planning processes and decision-making. Participants will engage in group exercises related to HIA steps, discuss opportunities and challenges to integrating health into planning and policy processes, and learn about new statewide collaborative initiatives and emerging tools to build capacity for health advancement in planning, and to support health in all policies.
- Understand the broader context of health influences and the social determinants of health.
- Understand the principles, value, and use of HIA, as well as the steps involved in conducting an HIA.
- Understand applicability of HIA to planning, development and land use decision-making and processes.
- Explore opportunities to incorporate HIA and/or health in all policies in local government decision-making.
- Review the resources available to local government decision-makers and citizens that wish to include health consideration in community planning.
Events in blue are provided by other groups we’ve been asked to share with our membership.
Events in green are for topics regarding hazard mitigation and recovery planning.