The 2014 New Jersey Planning Conference was a great success!
Special thanks to all our sponsors and our 600+ attendees for making it our largest conference yet!
Posted below is the conference program, a video of our Mt. Laurel session, our Friday Keynote presentation, additional resources requested by our members as well as our photo album. If you have suggestions, let us know! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and save the date for our 2015 conference which will take place on January 29 and 30.
VIDEO: What was Mount Laurel supposed to fix? How did we do? Why is COAH so hard to reform?
It has been 42 years since a trial court concluded that municipal zoning tends to reflect the desires of those already in place to the disadvantage of the regional interest and basic housing needs of our growing population. Over this span, our Supreme Court created a doctrine in 1975 and an implementation framework aimed at those with low and moderate incomes in 1983. The Legislature adopted the Fair Housing Act in 1985 and COAH administered an allocation-based system for 12 years, and has floundered ineffectively for nearly 14 years. In 2013, a temporarily configured Court in a split decision begged the Legislature to find a fix. And those conversations have been tortured — there seems to be little consensus over what exactly was broken, what was the point of the whole exercise, has time passed the need for this doctrine by, and what — if anything — should be done about it. Our profession owes our elected leadership an answer. Join us as our field’s leading academics weigh in on these issues.
- J. Creigh Rahenkamp, PP
- David Dante Troutt, Professor of Law and Justice John J, Francis Scholar, Rutgers School of Law, Newark
- Alan Mallach, FAICP, Senior Fellow, Center for Community Progress
- Stuart Meck, FAICP/PP, Associate Research Professor & Director, Center for Planning Practice
- Lawrence S. Lustberg, Esquire, Director, John J. Gibbons Fellowship in Public Interest & Constitutional Law
- David Kinsey, FAICP/PP, Kinsey & Hand, Visiting Lecturer, Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton University
- Marty Bierbaum, Ph.D.-J.D., Associate Director, National Center for Smart Growth, University of Maryland; Director of N.J. Municipal Land Use Center (retired)
- Jeffrey Surenian, Esquire
- Elizabeth McKenzie, AICP/PP
- Kevin Walsh, Esquire, Associate Director, Fair Share Housing Center
Changed Circumstances for Real Estate Demand
Jeffrey G. Otteau, President, Otteau Evaluation Group
- New Jersey Recent Demographic Trend And Availability of Economic and Demographic Data (Dr. Sen-Yuan Wu)
- Redevelopment 2014: New Tools to Achieve Results (Joseph Maraziti and Stan Slachetka)
- Redevelopment 2014: New Tools To Achieve Results (Legal References)
- Why Fixing COAH is Hard (Creigh Rahenkamp)
- Supreme Court – Mount Laurel Amicus Brief (NAACP)
- Imagine New Jersey Without Mount Laurel (David N. Kinsey)