The Newark Planning & Zoning Office is seeking a Planner – GIS Specialist to provide support to the Planning Division’s numerous planning initiatives. Candidate will prepare, revise, and maintain a wide variety of computer-generated maps and cartographic products; conduct research, analysis and data collection; and assist in providing technical assistance to the planning staff.
- Supports planning staff with both short and long range planning, urban design, zoning, environmental analysis and other assignments.
- Maintains, manages and updates geospatial data.
- Plays a key role in making Newark zoning and land use data available to the public online; maintains and updates the open data source on a regular basis.
- Helps integrate new GIS technologies into the Planning & Zoning Office.
- Uses Spatial Analyst, ModelBuilder and other tools to perform analyses of GIS datasets needed to complete various planning initiatives.
- Prepares maps, charts and other graphics that illustrate planning concepts for use in reports, PowerPoint presentations, displays and other formats.
- Maps all ongoing development projects and updates GIS layers.
Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in GIS, or in geography, planning or closely-related field along with certificate/specialization in GIS.
One (1) to five (5) years of planning experience with geographic information systems.
NOTE: Possession of a Master’s degree in Planning, Geography, or Environmental Science including or supplemented by the additional credits indicated below may be substituted for one (1) year of the indicated experience.
NOTE: Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute experience as indicated above on a year-for-year basis.
NOTE: A specific Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Environmental Science or related field with twelve (12) semester hours in computer mapping/GIS which shall have included spatial programming and digital image processing may be substituted for one (1) year of the above experience.
- Experience performing planning related GIS data development, up-date, management and maintenance tasks, geo-processing, map preparation and electronic file management.
- Proficiency in manipulating vector and raster data in ArcGIS, manipulating tabular data in GIS including summarizing, joining and linking related data, geodatabase design and management, Spatial Analysis, 3D Analysis and Network Analysis.
- Map design and layout skills for display and published maps.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter, resume and portfolio/work samples to NewarkPlanningJobs@ci.newark.nj.us
No phone calls, please.