FULL TIME POSITION WITH BENEFITS. Under the direction and supervision of the Planning Director and working closely with other department staff, the Zoning Officer performs the duties as dictated by the Montgomery Township Land Development Ordinance Chapter 16, including review of all zoning permits, Planning and Zoning Board resolutions for compliance, and land use laws of the Township Code.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform duties of the Zoning Officer as dictated by the Municipal Land Use Law.
- Administer and enforce the zoning provisions of the Township’s Land Development Ordinance and Zoning Map.
- Perform duties as Board Secretary to the Zoning Board of Adjustment.
- Issue zoning permits and interpret the zoning code.
- Review building permits and other applications for compliance with zoning ordinances.
- Respond to information requests from the public, residents, government agencies and developers.
- Conduct field inspections to ensure compliance with zoning regulations and respond to complaints or allegations of non-compliance. Take necessary enforcement action including written notifications, issuance of summons and possible testimony in court.
- Provide zoning guidance and advice to Township boards and committees, including coordinating with business liaisons such as the Municipal Business Association (MBA) and Economic Development Committee (EDC).
- Attend meetings as directed by the Planning Director, including night meetings.
- Assist with the periodic preparation and/or revision of the master plan, land development ordinance and other related planning documents.
- Write technical reports and memorandums regarding planning and zoning issues.
- Review and provide written evaluations of development applications.
- Direct the establishment and maintenance of essential zoning records and files.
- Track and/or deposit money received by Zoning.
- Attend occasional after-hours matters related to zoning enforcement
- The decisions and actions of the Planning Department impact the operations and work of other departments including but not limited to Code Enforcement, Engineering, Health, Recreation, Public Works, Finance and Tax Assessor. As such the Zoning Officer must be able to communicate, coordinate, and cooperate with these departments on a regular basis.
- Perform other related functions as deemed necessary and appropriate by the Planning Director.
Required Key Technical Skills and Knowledge:
- A minimum of two years of comprehensive experience with or for a municipal or county planning agency plus one year of code enforcement experience.
Desired Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of provisions of the zoning ordinance after a period of training.
- Ability to analyze and interpret the zoning ordinance for compliance with zoning permit applications and requests. Ability to prepare clear, sound, accurate, and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Ability to work with people under adverse conditions to remedy violations and achieve compliance with zoning regulations.
- Excellent customer service, written and verbal communication skills with the ability to multitask.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate with management, supervisors and coworkers with professionalism.
- Ability to understand survey, plot plans and perform basic office duties.
- Ability to work independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook and ability to learn zoning and other software packages.
Required Education, Certification, License:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or Public Administration or closely related field.
- New Jersey Zoning Official Certificate preferred
How to Apply
This position will remain open until filled. If you would like to be considered, please submit your letter of interest and resume to Tamarah Novak, Personnel Coordinator, at email@example.com. Salary information furnished upon request. EOE.