The Newark Planning & Zoning Office is seeking an Urban Designer to join a team of planners and GIS professionals. Under direction, the candidate will be responsible for producing conceptual designs and drawings for the Planning Division’s numerous planning initiatives, varying in scope and complexity, including neighborhood planning and visioning studies, community revitalization and redevelopment plans. The candidate should have a diverse knowledge of planning principles and practices, and be able to apply this knowledge to a broad range of project types and tasks. The candidate should be able to combine innovative thinking and imaginative problem solving skills to bring contextual and place-based solutions to the projects.
- Produces conceptual site plans, photo-simulations, and 3D sketches to illustrate plans, ordinances, and design guidelines.
- Organizes and prepares written and graphic materials for internal presentations and presentations to developers and community groups.
- Utilizes innovative sustainable design strategies.
- Prepares project reports and supporting graphics, tables, and charts.
- Plans, organizes and conducts land use and zoning studies, and prepares written reports for zoning proposals.
- Leads vision planning and neighborhood planning projects including guiding community member through a visioning process and developing physical concepts based on community input and market factors.
- Works closely with local community members/groups.
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of multiple neighborhood districts through research and field experience.
- Prepares massing drawings for large scale projects.
Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Urban Planning or related field.
One (1) to five (5) years of planning experience in urban planning.
NOTE: Possession of a current, valid license as a Professional Planner issued by the NJ State Board of Professional Planners may be substituted for the indicated educational requirement.
NOTE: Possession of a current and valid credential as a Certified Planner issued by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) may be substituted for the indicated educational requirement.
NOTE: Possession of a Master’s degree in Planning from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of indicated experience.
- Master’s degree in Architecture, Urban Design, or Urban Planning.
- Excellent research, analytical and organizational skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications.
- Strong graphic design, diagramming, and 3D modelling capabilities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, 3D software such as SketchUp. Rhino or Grasshopper a plus.
- Understanding of placemaking and community design (building, street, and public space types plus associated principles).
- Adeptness at hand drawing and sketching.
- Community engagement capabilities.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter, resume and portfolio/work samples to NewarkPlanningJobs@ci.newark.nj.us
No phone calls, please.