Sam Schwartz is an industry-leading transportation planning, engineering, and environmental firm known nationally for our ability to solve complex transportation problems with creative, multi-modal solutions. Our work includes diverse, high-profile projects such as the World Trade Center, LaGuardia Airport/JFK Redevelopment, and the Second Avenue Subway, along with planning, design, and strategic planning for cities across the country. We seek creative individuals that go above and beyond typical expectations, thrive within a collaborative environment, and deliver unique planning and design perspectives.
We are seeking Transportation Planners to join an interdisciplinary team of consultants (planning, graphic design, data analysis, transportation engineering), for our New York City and Jersey City offices, who can contribute to a variety of projects including comprehensive planning, street design, strategic plans, public engagement, traffic assessments, pedestrian and bicycle planning, transit analyses, systems monitoring, and a variety of other projects in the New York City and NJ regions as well as around the country.
The ideal candidate would be able to work collaboratively with various project teams and have a passion for learning transportation planning concepts. They would be able to take initiative in learning new techniques, skills, and software and enjoy identifying the best way to both approach a technical analysis and communicate the results, then be able to apply these skills to the production of reports and presentations.
Responsibilities would include:
- Conducting research and organizing information in clear and concise ways
- Contributing to the production of project presentations and reports
- Analyzing transportation data and synthesizing results into communicative charts and technical reports
- Developing thematic maps and diagrams
- Developing infographics to communicate transportation concepts
- Occasional fieldwork and site visits
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate would possess a combination of the following qualities:
- 1 to 3 years of urban design/planning experience
- Degree in urban design, urban planning, architecture, or related field
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator and InDesign
- Proficiency in ArcGIS/QGIS
- Familiarity with programming languages design (Python, R, etc.) is a plus
- Familiarity with AutoCAD is a plus
This description reflects the core activities of the position but is not intended to be all-inclusive and other duties within the group/department may be required in addition to changes in the emphasis of duties as required from time to time. There is a requirement for the position holder to recognize this and adopt a flexible approach to work.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and work sample (link or PDF) at http://samschwartz.com/careers/.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Sam Schwartz is an equal opportunity employer, and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type as protected by federal, state, or local laws. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.