The Newark Planning & Zoning Office is seeking a Transportation Planner to join a team of planners and GIS professionals. Under direction, the candidate will work on a broad range of transportation improvement projects and review development applications.
- Acts as a liaison between the Newark Planning department, Engineering department and other agencies.
- Assists with advancing ongoing citywide traffic and pedestrian improvement plans and studies.
- Provides valuable input for redevelopment plans, amendments and rezoning.
- Conducts review of development applications, subdivisions and site plans.
- Identifies transportation related problems, issues, mitigation strategies and opportunities.
- Conducts research, analysis and site assessments.
- Presents information and research findings in visual format including maps, charts, graphs, etc.
- Creates documents, summaries, reports and other presentation materials.
- Assists and attends various public meetings and workshops.
- Provides, where appropriate, a review of transportation/traffic impact studies.
- Assists with implementation and programming of the Complete Streets.
- Promotes bicycle and pedestrian mobility and safety for all residents.
- Recommends policies and programs to promote and enhance active transportation.
Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Transportation Planning or related field.
One (1) to five (5) years of planning experience in transportation planning.
NOTE: Possession of a current, valid license as a Professional Planner issued by the NJ State Board of Professional Planners may be substituted for the indicated education requirement.
NOTE: Possession of a current and valid credential as a Certified Planner issued by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) may be substituted for the indicated educational requirement.
NOTE: Possession of a Master’s degree in Planning from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of indicated experience.
- Master’s Degree in Transportation or related field.
- Expertise in Transportation Planning.
- Knowledge of concepts, principles, and techniques of transportation and land use planning.
- Self-starter with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong conceptual, organizational, problem solving and analytical abilities.
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant and team player.
- Strong proficiency in ArcGIS, AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to NewarkPlanningJobs@ci.newark.nj.us
No phone calls, please.