The Citizens for Strathmere & Whale Beach, a 501(c)(3) community organization, is in search of a qualified professional planning consultant (Consultant) experienced with municipal master plan development in coastal communities to submit a proposal to assist in the design and implementation of Township of Upper’s Master Plan specific to Strathmere. The first Upper Township Master Plan was created in 1975, and it has been many years since sections associated with the Village of Strathmere have undergone significant change. The new plan should include elements for improving the lives of citizens and visitors, increasing the value of property, and preserving the character of the island community.
Strathmere is a barrier island community within the Township of Upper located in Northern Cape May County. The population according to the 2010 census data is 158,
but in the summertime the population swells to over 5,000. Strathmere has its roots as a sleepy fishing village and stop off on the railroad from Philadelphia, PA to Cape May, NJ. As the Jersey Shore and Strathmere specifically have experienced increased interest; the residents of Strathmere have seen the need to reexamine and update the Master Plan not only to preserve, but also to improve the quality of life in future years.
Key Goals and Objectives of the Plan
The hired Consultant is expected to review the Upper Township Master Plan, and in
particular, specific items related to the Village of Strathmere, and provide recommendations which, when implemented, will guide future development and provide for smart growth that balances the purposes of the plan stated above. Key areas of focus are identified below:
- Flood Mitigation Develop a viable flood mitigation plan that addresses routine water runoff and drainage issues, storm event flooding, and rising ocean water levels.
- Wastewater Treatment Identify the positive and negative impacts of replacing existing septic systems with a municipal sewage system.
- Building Development Explore restrictions on building scale including height and its relation to base flood elevation, floor area ratio, aesthetics and style, setbacks, etc.
- Landscaping Develop landscaping guidelines that aim to improve the aesthetics of the community while being mindful of water runoff from sprinklers and impervious coverage.
- Conservation Plan Create plans that include the preservation of natural habitat, ecosystems, wetlands and wildlife, along with sustainable use and management of the natural resources unique to our barrier island community.
- Recreation and Community Explore opportunities for improving recreational opportunities including the better use of public open space and pedestrian and bicycle safety. Explore beach use and maintenance, including the potential of beach fees. Consider the need for a community center and programs.
- Circulation Plan Identify seasonal traffic patterns, speed limits, parking, curb cuts, and other potential traffic controls including pedestrian crosswalks.
- Commercial Development Classify retail/commercial opportunities including how to enhance our existing commercial business. Note the seasonal impact on viability of commercial entities and how to address related parking issues
- Preservation of Character, Quality of Life, and History Define the character of Strathmere & how we can preserve the historical charm of the community. Address quality of life elements such as noise control, contractor schedules, signage, excessive lighting, etc.
The Village of Strathmere requires that awarded consultant conduct at least one town hall meeting within Strathmere with residents as well as present recommendation for the Master Plan of Strathmere at a minimum of two Upper Township Planning Board and/or
Township Committee meetings, and provide guidance and work product. The awarded consultant should be able to thoughtfully utilize the feedback from each outlet in the creation of the requested tasks.
How to Apply
Submitted proposals will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Qualifications and experiences of the Consultant firm/team, key personnel, and the personnel who will be working directly on the project;
- Demonstrated understanding of overall goals and objects of the plan and ability to perform plan tasks;
- Record of past performance on similar projects/reference checks;
- Demonstrated ability to work with professional staff and boards;
- Demonstrated ability to complete task on time and within the budget;
- Overall costs proposed with cost per deliverable & phase
The Citizens for Strathmere & Whale Beach reserves the right to retain all proposals submitted, accept or reject any or all proposals, waive informalities, negotiate changes in the scope of work or services to be provided, and otherwise waive any technicalities.
All sealed proposals must be received by 4:00 PM on March 18, 2019 and addressed to: Citizens for Strathmere & Whale Beach c/o Janice Connell P.O. Box 33 Strathmere, NJ 08248. Applicants should plan on an interview tentatively scheduled for the week of April 1, 2019.