Somerset County is seeking a detail oriented and motivated professional to serve as a Planner in the Preservation Section of the Office of Planning, Policy and Economic Development. Somerset County is a recognized leader in planning in New Jersey. The Office of Planning, Policy and Economic Development works with the Board of County Commissioners, County departments, divisions and Boards and Commissions, local governments, non-profits, and the business community to coordinate efforts to build a strong economic environment, develop high-wage employment growth, and protect open space and historic resources throughout the County. The Office oversees the Office of Economic Development, Office of County GIS Services and the Office of the Cultural and Heritage Commission. The Office serves as staff to the Somerset County Planning Board, Somerset County Agriculture Development Board, Somerset County Cultural and Heritage Commission, the Somerset County Energy Council, the Open Space Advisory Committee, Green Leadership Hub and the Regional Center Partnership of Somerset County.
The position will work under the direction of the Supervising Preservation Planner and support all aspects of the County’s Open Space, Farmland and Historic Preservation programs. Assists with the coordination of preservation, planning, design, and stewardship efforts of the Preservation Section which includes, Open Space, Farmland and Historic Preservation. This position reports to the Supervising Planner-Preservation.
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Experience in preservation planning programs. Knowledge of the Green Acres Program, State Historic Preservation Office regulations and State Agricultural Development Committee Farmland Preservation regulations. Grant writing for acquisition, development, and stewardship projects. BS or equivalent in Planning, Natural Sciences, Landscape Architecture, or related field.
Valid NJ driver’s license.
Proficient in office computer use, including Microsoft Office, email, and other computer applications. Graphic presentation skills.
Master’s Degree in Planning, Natural Sciences, Landscape Architecture, or related field. Grant writing for acquisition, development, and stewardship projects. GIS experience.
- Assist with the evaluation and inspection of potential preservation parcels, pertaining to physical and natural characteristics and limitations, and consistency with the County Preservation Plan.
- Assist with preparation and coordination for the Land Acquisition Committee, Open Space Advisory Committee and County Agriculture Development Board meetings.
- Assist with the preparation and management of grant applications and awards for County, State, and Federal grants or loans pertaining to land preservation, planning, development, and historic preservation.
- Maintain current and accurate records relating to planning, design, preservation, and stewardship projects, including contracts, deeds, surveys, grants and the County’s Recreation and Open Space Inventory.
- Create GIS mapping for planning and land preservation presentations. Assist with the coordination of changes to open space and farmland data with County Office of GIS Services.
- Prepare graphic displays for internal and external use.
- Prepare monthly reports and other reports as needed or requested.
- Maintain skills and technical competence through continuing education.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Please visit Preservation Section Planner | Employment Opportunities | Somerset County to apply.