The Passaic County Department of Planning and Economic Development is pursuing a Landscape Architect. The Department services a culturally, geographically, and socio-economically diverse population of more than 500,000 residents. The Department has a value-added approach to working with county departments and local municipalities to achieve multi-disciplinary planning strategies. The department has a reputation for progressive and innovative solutions that have warranted recognition at the state and national level and success advancing a Complete Streets Program, multiple phases of the Morris Canal Greenway, and several award-winning master plan elements.
The successful candidate for this position possesses and demonstrates a thorough understanding of a range of experience in landscape architecture that would apply to public parks, urban design, and green infrastructure projects on behalf of the County. This position involves direct contact with the Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders and Administration, local municipal staff and officials, state and federal agencies, funding partners, as well as local stakeholders and the public. The successful candidate must have extremely strong communication skills with outstanding analytical, presentation and writing skills.
Examples of Important Duties
The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate the ability to understand and meet the following requirements of the position of Landscape Architect:
- Assist in the review and management of the County’s Open Space and Farmland Preservation Trust Fund;
- Prepares and processes applications for federal and state financial grant programs as well as supervise installation of successful applications;
- Design planting and maintenance plans for various county parks, streetscape and green infrastructure projects;
- Possess the skills necessary to apply historic preservation principles and design standards to elements of the County’s Olmsted designed Parks System as well as environs of the various historic properties managed by Passaic County;
- Lead park project development in coordination with an inter-disciplinary team of planners, engineers, parks, staff and officials that will meet a diverse set of goals and needs;
- Develop detailed cost estimates, plans, and architectural details for contractual bidding, grant applications, and review by engineering staff;
- Lead the development of green stormwater infrastructure projects in accordance with the County’s adopted Green Stormwater Infrastructure Element of the County Master Plan;
- Prepare and review urban design projects as part of planning studies, capital improvement projects, and other roadway beautification projects;
- Design and maintain guidelines for plantings in parks, along county roadways and county properties;
- Assist in the review of street tree plantings as part of the County Planning Board process; and
- Highly proficient in AutoCAD and Adobe Creative Suite (GIS experience a plus);
- Two (2) years of experience in landscape design.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture or Landscape Design.
- Appointees must possess a license as a Landscape Architect issued by the New Jersey State Board of Architects.
- Appointees will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
How to Apply
To be considered, email the following to the address below no later than Friday, February 28, 2020.
- Cover letter indicating your interest and experience
- Resume (Work samples encouraged)
- Names and phone numbers of at least three (3) references
Michael Lysicatos PP, AICP, Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Passaic County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.