The Newark Planning & Zoning Office is seeking a Land Use Planner to join a team of planners and GIS professionals. Under direction, the candidate will be responsible for assisting the Planning Office in reviewing development applications, preparation of Master Plan, redevelopment plans and comprehensive land use planning. The candidate will be part of the ongoing short and long range planning projects.
- Schedules and attends pre-application meetings to assist applicants seeking subdivision, conditional use, variance and site plan review.
- Reviews development applications and authors bi-weekly staff reports.
- Attends to zoning and land use regulation inquiries by phone, email and written correspondence.
- Assists applicants in meeting compliance as per resolution conditions.
- Reviews and approves development permits.
- Performs public outreach activities necessary to meet public notice requirements associated with board applications, zoning amendments, blight studies and redevelopment plans.
- Assists in the preparation of both long range and short range planning projects.
- Conducts site visits and field inspections as and when needed.
- Conducts research and prepares reports on land use, and land use related issues; presents findings to staff, Board members, City Council, stake holders and other officials.
- Assists with public meetings and workshops and occasionally attends board hearings.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Urban Planning or related field.
One (1) to five (5) years of planning experience in municipal land use planning.
NOTE: Possession of a current and valid license as a professional planner in New Jersey issued by the New Jersey Board of Professional Planners may be substituted for the educational requirement.
NOTE: Possession of a current and valid credential as a Certified Planner Issued by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) may be substituted for the educational requirement.
NOTE: Possession of a Master’s degree in Planning from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of indicated experience.
- Master’s degree Urban Planning.
- Knowledge of concepts, principles, and trends in land use planning.
- Excellent research, analytical and organizational skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and GIS.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for facilitating relationships with officials, customers, staff, etc.
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant and team player.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter, resume and portfolio/work samples to NewarkPlanningJobs@ci.newark.nj.us
No phone calls, please.