Department: Housing, Economic Development & Commerce
Union/Management: Local 246, Union
Workweek: 37 ½ hours per week
Salary: Based on qualifications and experience. Competitive Jersey City retirement and health benefits package available, including pension, dental, medical, prescription, FSA (flexible spending account), life insurance, mileage reimbursement and more.
The City of Jersey City Division of Zoning is seeking a talented and energetic Land Use Planner to assist the Zoning Officer with technical and planning expertise in plan and land use ordinance review. This position is a valuable opportunity for individuals with a strong interest in zoning and land use regulation to develop their knowledge and skills in a very active planning office working on a wide range of contemporary urban development issues, collaborating with planners of various backgrounds.
- Assist the Zoning Officer and staff in reviewing applications for compliance with the Jersey City Land Development Ordinance;
- Assist in compliance reviews for applications for Certificate of Occupancy;
- Advise the Zoning Officer on current regulations under the Municipal Land Use Law and current land use case law;
- Clerical tasks such as filing, correspondence with the public, application intake, digitizing records, etc;
- Performs necessary field work for the department including zoning site inspections.
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Educational Background: Bachelor’s degree in Planning or related field. Must have a New Jersey Professional Planning license
Required Experience: One to two years of experience as a planner.
- Relevant Federal, State and local laws, regulations, and procedures concerning community redevelopment, economic development, and housing rehabilitation programs;
- Ability to provide quality customer services in person and over the telephone;
- Must be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office – PowerPoint, Word, and Excel; and
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City of Jersey City employees, public officials and the general public.
How to Apply
To apply for this job with the City of Jersey City fill out our Employment Application at https://www.cognitoforms.com/CityOfJerseyCity1/CityOfJerseyCityEmploymentApplication.