NJ TRANSIT is the third-largest transportation agency in North America and fully committed to delivering safe and reliable services. This tactic has driven our success in developing real-world solutions that affect many individuals lives every day. We are looking for talented students to hire for our Internship Program who can help initiate our solution-based business model to the next level. As an intern at NJ TRANSIT, you will oversee projects from concepts to completion. Our interns step away from the regular sitting at the desk to having the opportunity at hands-on experience with several business units within NJ TRANSIT. Our ideal candidate is passionate about learning and using creative solutions to make an impact on the lives of others.
Objective of this role:
The summer intern will have the opportunity to learn how a transit agency can provide planning recommendations to connect land uses to transit. It is a unique opportunity to work with other local, county, and regional agencies and be involved in a multitude of planning projects.
The Planning Dept. seeks a summer intern to work in the Transit Friendly Planning Program. Representative tasks include:
- Assist with technical planning assistance through the TFP program.
- Assist with website development and maintenance for Transit Friendly Planning Program.
- Conduct research focused on transit-oriented development best practices.
- Review weekly news briefs and edit long-form articles for NJTOD.org.
- Provide support for project meetings including minutes, materials, etc.
- Attend internal and external meetings for the Transit Friendly Program and prepare summary meeting notes.
- Attend Transit Friendly Planning events, like future TOD forums, conferences, and workshops.
- Assist with digitizing and cataloging previous studies/reports.
- Assist with maintaining the transitfriendlydata.org tool.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Preferably rising 2nd year student. Interest or background in transportation planning, urban planning, land-use/environmental planning, real estate/redevelopment, or urban design desired.
- Strong Writing and Communication Skills
- Basic knowledge of planning process and development regulations
- Microsoft Excel or other database management software
- Website development (CMS)
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Microsoft 365 (including Teams)
- Hybrid – office, remote, and field (driver’s license preferred, but not required)
- Approximate Hours Per Week: Students can work up to 40 hours per week through the 10-week summer internship
When applying please complete the entire application; any incomplete
applications will not be considered.
Also, please upload your resume to be considered when applying.
Hourly Rate: $18-$28
Move forward with us at NJ Transit!
FORBES LIST OF AMERICA’S BEST EMPLOYERS 2021, 2022 & 2023
New Jersey Transit is an Equal Opportunity Employer