Environmental Sustainability Planner
Department: Center for Community Systems
Reports To: Director, Center for Community Systems
Position Type: Staff
Under the direction of the Director, Center for Community for Systems, the Environmental Sustainability Planner will serve as the Center’s subject matter expert on climate resiliency and sustainability, and will participate in studies, projects, technical assistance programs, and educational forums.
- Participates in studies, projects, and technical assistance programs related to community revitalization, community resilience, and brownfields redevelopment.
- Provides technical knowledge, guidance, data, support, and advice in the area of environmental sustainability, resiliency, energy efficiency, community revitalization, and climate change policies and initiatives.
- Develops strategies to promote the incorporation of sustainable practices relating to brownfields redevelopment.
- Identifies and provides technical assistance to communities that are developing resilience plans and projects.
- Develops and conducts educational forums designed to promote the incorporation of sustainable, resilient, and equitable development practices into brownfields redevelopment and community revitalization.
- Develops concepts for sustainability and resiliency tools including infographics, short videos, learning modules, and pamphlets.
- Collaborates with the Center’s team members to incorporate sustainable and resilient practices elements into planned educational forums.
- Identifies brownfield communities facing climate change challenges and promotes sustainable practices via the Center’s collaborative technical assistance efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental planning, urban planning, sustainability, or related field.
- 3 to 5 years
- Knowledge of federal, state, and regional environmental sustainability policies, practices and resources and their application to redevelopment projects.
- Experience in the environmental consulting field, working for a government environmental or community development department, or a nonprofit focused on environmental issues or community development.
- Possesses strong public speaking and relationship building skills.
- Possesses strong time management and organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Can work independently as well as collaborate with a team.
- Excellent computer literacy, including Microsoft Office, and Adobe.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- At the university’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be exempted where the candidate can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the university, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Bargaining Unit: PSA
As an EEO employer NJIT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive teaching, research, and working environment and strongly encourages applications from individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women.
Diversity is a core value of NJIT and we are committed to make diversity, equity and inclusion, part of everything we do. We celebrate the diversity of our university community and recognize cultural and personal differences. We strive to cultivate an inclusive campus culture that promotes excellence among our faculty, staff and students. Building a robust and diverse community is critical to NJIT’s continuing status as a premier institution of higher education and a leading polytechnic university.
How to Apply
For full job description and to apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4407362