The Newark Planning & Zoning Office is seeking an Economic and Community Development Planner to join a team of planners and GIS professionals. Under direction, the candidate will work on a broad range of projects with a particular focus on community development and revitalization, sustainable and equitable economic development and housing.
- Acts as a liaison between the Planning Office, Community Development Corporations, community stakeholders, civic leaders, elected officials and other agencies.
- Collects, analyzes and interprets economic and demographic data.
- Conducts market feasibility analysis to understand the potential for new commercial, industrial, retail, residential and mixed-use development, especially in smart growth or transit-oriented locations, and build the capacity of local stakeholders to pursue opportunities for sustainable and equitable economic development.
- Coordinates, maintains and assists in the implementation of various community development programs.
- Assists in the preparation of Community Revitalization and Neighborhood Plans.
- Assists in the planning and conducting of various community development meetings/workshops.
- Helps to solicit recommendations, opinions and feedback from the community and stakeholders.
- Develops an understanding of the assets, opportunities, constraints, issues and problems of each neighborhood.
- Reviews development applications and addresses community concerns associated with the proposed development.
- Supports planning staff in mitigating negative impacts and negotiating positive outcomes from proposed developments that would benefit the community.
- Plans, develops, coordinates and administers residential, commercial and industrial redevelopment and revitalization projects; coordinates capital improvements within a project area; develops implementation schedules.
- Creates documents, summaries, reports, maps and other presentation materials.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Urban Planning or Public Administration; at least one (1) year of municipal planning or community development experience or internship, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
One (1) to five (5) years of planning experience in urban planning and/or community development.
NOTE: Possession of a current and valid license as a professional planner in New Jersey issued by the New Jersey Board of Professional Planners may be substituted for the educational requirement.
NOTE: Possession of a current and valid credential as a Certified Planner Issued by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) may be substituted for the educational requirement.
NOTE: Possession of a Master’s degree in Planning from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of indicated experience.
- Master’s degree Urban Planning, Environmental Planning, or Public Administration.
- Experience in neighborhood and community revitalization.
- Excellent research, analytical and organizational skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and GIS.
- Community engagement capabilities.
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant and team player.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter, resume and portfolio/work samples to NewarkPlanningJobs@ci.newark.nj.us
No phone calls, please.