The City of New Brunswick, a dynamic urban center with a population of 60,000 and home of Rutgers, Johnson & Johnson, Cultural Center and two teaching hospitals, seeks an individual to be the Director of Planning, Community and Economic Development. The position reports to the Mayor. The ideal candidate will have at least 10 years of experience.
Minimum requirements for the position are:
- Professional Planners License
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree
- 10 years of responsible professional experience in municipal, county, regional, or state planning including staff management
- Experience with the New Jersey redevelopment planning and development process
- Experience managing HUD entitlement funding for CDBG and HOME
- A master’s degree in urban planning or similar field is preferred
- The successful candidate will have excellent organizational, writing, verbal and customer service skills.
The director is responsible for managing the department, including the offices of Planning, Community Development and Rent Control.
- Supervise 8 employees (7 FT and 1 PT)
- Department budget approximately $1.5 Million
- Develop plans and procedures to carry out policies
- Land use planning including master plan, zoning and administration of land use boards
- Redevelopment planning, including preparation of blight studies and redevelopment plans, and liaison with developers and the public
- Develop plans for strategies for community facilities
- Manage the annual HUD entitlement grants
- Oversee the Office of Rent Control
New director will become part of a dynamic team working closely with the Mayor, as well as the private sector, to continue the extraordinary progress in the City over the last 20+ years.
The City of New Brunswick is an equal opportunity employer and offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, health insurance and pension. Salary range: $96,000 – $136,000.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Dan Mason, Jersey Professional Management at JPM@jerseyprofessionalmgt.com. Please include “New Brunswick Planning Director” in the subject line.