The Mercer County (NJ) Planning Department serves 12 diverse municipalities within urban, suburban and rural settings in Central New Jersey. The County is looking to fill one or more full time Assistant Planner positions. Assistant Planner is an entry-level position. It is characterized by the responsibility of providing staff support in policy and land use planning activities under supervision of the Planning Director and senior staff. The Assistant Planner will learn to apply professional planning principles within a County government setting.
Duties may include but are not limited to subdivision and site plan review in accordance with the Mercer County Land Development Standards, performing GIS tasks, historic, farmland and open space preservation planning, demographics and economic development, and working with other departmental staff on transportation and other projects.
Abilities and Knowledge:
- Analytical experience and the ability to thrive in a fast paced and dynamic work environment;
- Strong interpersonal and cross functional collaborative skills;
- Exceptional communication, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills;
- Familiarity with planning issues and concepts relevant to regional planning and land use;
- Familiarity with state statutes regarding planning powers and responsibilities at the state, county and municipal level in New Jersey;
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to collect and organize data in a way that improves the department’s ability to plan and implement projects;
- Self-motivated with an ability to work on several project at the same time;
- Ability to prepare clear, technically sound, accurate, and informative planning reports and studies;
- Proficient with Microsoft Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint;
- Working knowledge of GIS.
The candidate must possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in planning, urban studies, geography or a related field. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
How to Apply
Candidate must be a Mercer County resident within one year of permanent employment. Candidate will be subject to all Civil Service regulations and processes. Send Resume and cover letter to: Raissa Walker, Personnel Director, Mercer County Administration Building, 640 South Broad Street, PO Box 8068, Trenton, NJ 08650-0068.