Under the supervision of the Planning Director, the Assistant Planner/GIS Specialist provides staff support for policy and land use planning activities. Duties include routine municipal planning work including review of development applications, research and analysis of statistical data for planning reports, responding to information requests from residents, government agencies and developers, and attendance at various Township meetings and hearings.
The position will also provide Geographic Information Systems (GIS) services to the Department. The Assistant Planner/GIS Specialist will assemble, analyze, visualize, and report on geospatial information to support the work of the Planning Department as well as other Township departments.
- Organize and conduct routine investigations, surveys, data collection and related analyses under the supervision of the Planning Director.
- Write technical reports regarding planning and zoning issues and development applications.
- Manage the production and maintenance of GIS data and services, creating graphics and presentation materials that illustrate data clearly and effectively for technical reporting and presentations.
- Manage collection of data to facilitate regular updates to Township databases, field data requests from other Township departments, and coordination with outside agencies and entities to facilitate these activities to current standards.
- Assist Township departments in cataloging, tracking, and maintaining physical infrastructure and other assets.
- Prepare maps, charts and other graphics for use in reports, presentations, and displays.
A Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Geography, Environmental Sciences or related field with 12 semester hours in computer mapping/GIS with spatial programming and digital image processing including cartography, computer science, web development and/or geospatial analysis resulting in GIS certification based on ESRI standards.
A Master’s degree in Planning, Geography, Environmental Sciences or related field with GIS certification based on ESRI standards. (May be substituted for one year of experience.)
A minimum of two years of comprehensive experience with or for a municipal or county planning agency with an emphasis on GIS skills.
- New Jersey Professional Planner License (PP) or at a minimum, certification as a Planner-in-Training (PIT) within one year of hire.
- New Jersey Driver License.
- An advanced level of knowledge of planning practices and techniques.
- Experience using the most current ESRI software to perform GIS mapping/cartography, geodatabase management and documentation; spatial analysis and geo-processing; planning-related data development and analysis, management and maintenance tasks; map preparation and electronic file management.
- Familiarity with ArcGIS Online.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Applications and Spatial Data Logic Software.
- Familiarity with virtual meeting platforms.
How to Apply
Applicants should forward a cover letter of interest, resume and three references to Sarah Brake: firstname.lastname@example.org.