The City of Jersey City, Division of City Planning is seeking an Urban Designer to join a team of technical planning, design, and GIS professionals responsible for comprehensively planning the rational development of a rapidly-growing, highly-urbanized environment. He/she will participate in projects ranging in all sizes and levels of complexity. The successful candidate, working with the internal review planners, will review and comment on applications, lead Vision planning and neighborhood planning projects, and work closely with local community members.
- Ability to lead a community charrettes with support from other staff members.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong graphic/diagramming skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications.
- Working knowledge of precedent examples from around the Country in regards to great places, streetscape, building massing, downtowns etc.
- Proficiency with computer-assisted design software such as AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite such as (Photoshop, Illustrator, In-design); 3D software such as Sketchup. Rhino or Grasshopper a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office – PowerPoint and other presentation software required.
- Proficiency with data management and communications software such as Word and Excel.
The ideal applicant would be an innovative team player and possess strong graphic, writing, and communication skills and be comfortable working with community groups and has a passion for placemaking. Minimum – of 3 to 5 years’ experience in Urban Design or Planning projects in the US.
Acceptable degrees are Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Architecture, Urban Design, or Urban Planning. AICP membership is a plus.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Director Annisia Cialone, AICP, LEED AP, firstname.lastname@example.org.