The City of Jersey City, Division of City Planning is seeking an Urban Designer to join a team of technical planning, design, and GIS professionals responsible for comprehensively planning the rational development of a rapidly-growing, highly-urbanized environment. He/she will participate in projects ranging in all sizes and levels of complexity. The successful candidate, working with the internal review planners, will review and comment on applications, lead Vision planning and neighborhood planning projects, and work closely with local community members. The ideal applicant would be an innovative team player and possess strong graphic, writing, and communication skills. The applicant must be comfortable working with community groups and have a passion for placemaking.
- Plan, organize and conduct land use and zoning studies, and prepare written reports for zoning proposals
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of multiple neighborhood districts through research and field experience
- Working alongside City Planning staff review planners, review development proposals and provide comments and massing alternatives as necessary
- Analyze development proposals to determine compliance with zoning regulations
- Organize and prepare written and graphic materials for internal presentations and presentations to developers and community groups
- Lead vision planning and neighborhood planning projects including guiding community members through a visioning process and developing physical concepts based on community input and market factors
- Work closely with local community members/groups
- Represent the division at neighborhood association meetings and other meetings to gather information and convey the division’s positions on neighborhood planning issues
Required Educational Background: Acceptable degrees are Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Architecture, Urban Design, or Urban Planning
Required Experience: Minimum of three to five years of experience in Urban Design or Planning projects in the US. AICP membership is a plus.
- Excellent research, analytical and organizational skills, including expertise in urban design and/or architecture
- Ability to read and interpret complex planning documents, plans and maps, and conduct site plan review for zoning compliance
- Ability to lead community charrettes with support from other staff members
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong verbal and written communications
- Strong graphic design, diagramming, and 3D modeling capabilities
- Proficiency with computer-assisted design software such as AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), 3D software such as SketchUp. Rhino or Grasshopper a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office- PowerPoint and other presentation software required
- Proficiency with data management and communications software such as Word and Excel
- Working knowledge of precedent examples from around the country in regards to great places, streetscape, building massing, downtowns etc.
- Ability to work effectively with community residents, public agencies and elected officials
- Ability to work well in teams and independently to complete assignments in a timely fashion
- Experience in managing projects and studies
Residency Requirement: Employee must be a resident of the State of New Jersey or become a resident of New Jersey within a year (“New Jersey First Act” P.L. 2011, c.70)
Salary: Based on qualifications and experience. Competitive Jersey City retirement and health benefits package available, including pension, dental, medical, prescription, FSA (flexible spending account), life insurance, mileage reimbursement and more.
How to Apply
To apply for this job send resume, cover letter, and portfolio (10 MB max) directly to firstname.lastname@example.org