The City of Jersey City, Division of City Planning is seeking a Land Use Planner to join a team of technical planning, design, and GIS professionals responsible for comprehensively planning the rational development of a rapidly-growing, highly-urbanized environment. The ideal candidate will work on zoning board applications, neighborhood vision plans and will be part of the team working on a new Master Plan for Jersey City. The successful candidate must demonstrate a basic knowledge and skill in comprehensive land use planning, resource protection and redevelopment. The ideal applicant would be an innovative team player and possess strong graphic, writing, and communication skills.
- Conduct research and information gathering to assist in site planning and compliance with municipal land use regulations;
- Prepare land use applications for projects requiring plats, rezones, variances, conditional use and site plan reviews;
- Develop and prepare design documents including design guidelines, maps, reports, comprehensive plan packages, and presentation materials;
- Research and prepare reports for potential new sites by investigating zoning and land use designations, land development regulations, and state/ federal regulations for site viability;
- Perform public outreach activities necessary to meet public notice requirements associated with land use applications and planning projects. This includes preparing site postings, public meeting announcements, and assisting in the coordination of public meetings;
- Performs related work as assigned.
Required Educational Background: Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning or related field
Required Experience: Minimum one (1) year of experience working in land-use planning, community engagement, and/or master planning
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City of Jersey City employees, public officials and the general public;
- Ability to work closely in a team environment
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through and meet deadlines;
- Thorough knowledge about land use planning, resource protection, and redevelopment;
- Ability to present, discuss, and execute innovative ideas
- Strong graphic, writing, and communication skills; and
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office- PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
Preferred Education/Skills/Qualifications: Experience working on neighborhood/community based planning. AICP membership preferred.
Residency Requirement: Employee must be a resident of the State of New Jersey or become a resident of New Jersey within a year (“New Jersey First Act” P.L. 2011, c.70)
How to Apply
To apply for this job send resume and cover letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org