Cross County Connection is a non-profit Transportation Management Association based in Marlton, NJ, providing transportation-planning services in the seven southern counties of NJ. The Safe Routes to School program is a national initiative designed to improve the health of children (K-8) by encouraging them to be more physically active. The NJ SRTS program accomplishes this goal by working with schools and municipalities to create programs that encourage and facilitate safe bicycling and walking to/from school.
This individual will be responsible for encouraging schools/districts to bring the SRTS program into their curriculums and implementing educational programming and activities. For more information about Cross County Connection, please visit www.driveless.com. Our SRTS information is listed under Community Programs at the top of our homepage.
This is an ideal position for a recent planning school graduate who enjoys bicycle and pedestrian planning. Although this is not a teaching position, we do need someone who is comfortable working directly with children and understands how schools/districts and municipalities function.
- Recruit schools to participate in SRTS program though mailings, meetings, site visits, etc.
- Coordinate stakeholder groups.
- Provide policy guidance to schools regarding pedestrian and bicycling safety.
- Observe and analyze school pick-up and drop-off procedures.
- Conduct and lead pedestrian safety audits with school representatives.
- Conduct school travel tallies and surveys with school personnel.
- Provide guidance and assistance to school personnel to plan and implement walking and bicycling events, such as walking school buses and bike rodeos.
- Assist schools with educational programming that promotes safe bicycling and walking.
- Assist senior staff with the creation of School Travel Plans.
- Assist schools/municipalities with SRTS Infrastructure grants.
- Maintain SRTS program records and adhere to SRTS program reporting requirements.
- Assist planning staff with non-SRTS related bicycle/pedestrian planning programs.
- Assist general public with public transit information.
- Other responsibilities, as the need arises.
- BS/BA in transportation planning or related field.
- One to three years related experience (internships are acceptable).
- Strong research skills.
- Ability to work with, and provide guidance to, stakeholder groups.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details.
- Ability to work with elementary age school children. A background check will be required.
- Ability to attend occasional evening meetings and weekend events.
- Valid US driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume via email to:
Ronda R. Urkowitz, P.P./AICP
Cross County Connection TMA
4A Eves Drive
Marlton, NJ 08053