Rhode Island State Division of Planning, Transportation Planning Unit, Department of Administration, State of Rhode Island
This position plays a critical role in carrying out the State Planning Council’s duties as Rhode Island’s only federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO). Initial focal areas will include:
- Assist in update of the State’s Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) to ensure that it best reflects Rhode Islanders’ travel needs while enhancing its sustainability and competitiveness within the region.
- Assist in launching of the State’s first Bicycle Master Plan.
- Work with local communities, state agencies and various other stakeholders to promote Transit Oriented Development opportunities in the state.
- Assisting the RI Department of Transportation and the RI Public Transit Authority with public transit planning efforts, including assessing, and enhancing transit access, connectivity, and mobility
- Exploring innovative approaches to land use and transportation corridor planning
- Analyzing the multi-modal transportation system and implementing strategies for reducing recurring congestion in defined problem areas
- Facilitating the annual review and update of the State’s Transportation Improvement Program (STIP)
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR APPOINTMENT:
- Preferred candidates will have a master’s degree in urban or regional planning. The qualified candidate should also possess:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of urban and regional planning
- Strong organizational, problem solving, facilitation and negotiation skills with an ability to prioritize and manage multiple programs, projects and tasks to meet varying deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and to work as a team player on multiple projects
- Strong computer proficiency, including document design and layout, geographic information systems and database management
Applications will be received online only, until July 5, 2017 at 11:59PM. To apply for these Principal Planner position, visit APPLY.RI.GOV
$31.42 – $35.53 Hourly
$57,177.00 – $64,668.00 Annually