The City of Jersey City’s Division of City Planning is seeking an Environmental Planner to join a team of technical planning, design, and GIS professionals responsible for comprehensively planning the rational development of a rapidly growing, highly urbanized environment. Working under the Director of Planning, this Planner will focus on environmental considerations within the City’s zoning code and redevelopment plans, act as City liaison for local and regional environmental planning projects, including green infrastructure planning, and collaborate with the Jersey City Office of Sustainability.
- Review site plans for Planning Board and Zoning Board of Adjustment applications;
- Work cooperatively with other Division of Planning and City staff to contribute to the creation of a new Master Plan for Jersey City;
- Review the City’s zoning code and redevelopment plans and make recommendations on improvements related to environmental policies;
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders including, but not limited to, other planners, industrial proponents, developers, city council and other public agencies/departments, special interest groups, and the general public;
- Research and review legislation and policies from other jurisdictions to ensure the City’s compliance with best practices; and
- Participate in the Jersey City Stormwater Treatment and Resiliency Action Team (START).
- Familiarity with environmental planning practices and principles;
- Ability to work closely in a team environment;
- Ability to present, discuss and execute innovative ideas;
- Basic knowledge and skill in comprehensive land use planning, resource protection and redevelopment;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Strong presentation skills;
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through and meet deadlines;
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Strong graphic, writing, and communication skills.
- Proficiency with ArcGIS;
- Familiarity with the general workings and activities of municipal government;
- Prior public sector experience or familiarity working with public sector clients.
Salary: Based on qualifications and experience. Competitive Jersey City retirement and health benefits package available, including pension, dental, medical, prescription, FSA (flexible spending account), life insurance, mileage reimbursement and more.
How to Apply
To apply email resume and cover letter to Kate Lawrence at email@example.com