The Passaic County Department of Planning and Economic serves 16 diverse municipalities within urban, suburban and rural settings in northern New Jersey. The County’s Planning Division is looking to fill the full-time position of Assistant Planner. Under the direction of the Planning Director and Assistant Director, this member of the Planning Division Team will have the opportunity to work on a wide-range of planning projects including, but not limited to transportation planning; sustainability and resiliency planning; complete streets; historic preservation; open space and farmland preservation as well as development/site plan review.
The ideal candidate will possess mid-level GIS skills and will be charged with managing the development of maps and GIS data for planning oriented projects, assisting other County departments with map and data requests, and managing online map services. As such, the candidate must be comfortable working with technical and non-technical staff in developing work products and promoting and expanding department services.
Job Responsibilities can include but are not limited to the following:
- Intake and review of Development Review applications in accordance with Site Plan and Subdivision rules. Coordinate with Planning & Engineering staff;
- Collaborate with department staff on transportation planning activities including coordination with state and federal transportation agencies such as the NJDOT, NJ Transit and the NJTPA;
- Assist staff in hosting workshops to disseminate information and develop consensus on ridership and land use forecasts related to the Passaic-Bergen-Hudson Rail Project in partnership with NJ Transit;
- Review proposals for green infrastructure improvements proposed through the Development Review process;
- Assist with preparing materials and events to gather public feedback on the planning and implementation of various department initiatives;
- Update the department website with news and relevant project updates;
- Implement the County’s Complete Streets Implementation Program. This includes review of the annual resurfacing program, designing and implementation bicycle and pedestrian projects, managing education and
enforcement efforts and presenting success stories at conferences and other professional development outlets and venues;
- Management of GIS data and maps as part of the Department’s effort to create web mapping services for the public and other Passaic County departments;
- Handle inquiries for GIS data using department’s on-line GIS data hosting tools;
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university including or supplemented by twenty-one (21) semester hour credits in professional planning subjects such as the principals of land use planning, history of city planning, urban design, planning law and administration;
- One (1) year of professional experience in municipal, county, regional, or state planning (master’s degree in planning from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of indicated experience);
- Ability to prioritize work tasks and respond to important tasks as needed;
- Familiarity with planning issues and concepts relevant to the regional including land use trends and sustainability and resiliency priorities;
- Familiarity with state statutes regarding planning powers and responsibilities at the state, county and municipal level in New Jersey;
- Ability to comfortable lead meetings with other County departments and non-professionals in an effort to promote and expand department services;
- Knowledge and concepts of transportation planning and applications of the Internet of Things (IoT);
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to collect and organize data in a way that improves the department’s ability to plan and implement projects;
- Self-motivated with an ability to work on several project at the same time;
- Ability to prepare clear, technically sound, accurate, and informative planning reports and studies;
- Highly proficient with GIS and GPS software (ESRI Arc GIS, Microsoft Access, GPS Trimble, etc.);
- Experience with online mapping, web development, graphic design (Adobe Suite), SDE, SQL, Python, and other programming suites a plus.
How to Apply
To be considered, email the following to the address below no later than Friday, August 31, 2018.
- Cover letter indicating your interest and experience
- Names and phone numbers of at least three (3) references
Passaic County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Michael La Place PP, AICP, Director